This is a history of game version updates in The Messenger.
Version 1.0.2 (October 25, 2018)
- Fixed memory leak to prevent framerate drop issue when playing for extended periods of time (6+ hours)
- Fixed soft lock that occurred when dying at the same time as killing a boss
- Fixed game timer that would restart at zero after going over 24h
- In Catacombs, preventing an issue where players could get stuck in a challenge room after saving in the room and reloading the game because of breakables respawning
- In Rivière Turquoise, fixed an issue where players could respawn in the wrong dimension and get stuck
- Health and mana drop upgrades will now function properly the moment they are bought, instead of upon restarting the game
- Being careful with spoilers here, but a certain button mashing sequence has been reworked to prevent blockers for certain players.
Version 1.0.4 (November 21, 2018)
New Game+ mode:
- NG+ is additive, where each subsequent cycle increases difficulty, but also lets you lock in an item to have from the start, making the quest shorter every time
- Tread carefully; in NG+, you need to pay Quarble upfront, or it’s GAME OVER
- Can you beat the dev’s high score of New Game+7??
- Accessible through the pause menu
Dialogue turbo speed:
- Hold right trigger (default) and jump to skip text as fast as possible
Underwater labyrinth accessibility:
- A visual effect (bubbles) will be there for adventurers who carry the Magic Seashell
Prophet hints now accessible directly in the map:
- Can be toggled on and off
- Accessible in the Shop after finding your first Music Note
- Accessible through the pause menu after first discovering it in the Shop
Updated Windmill Shuriken:
- Accessible from the start in NG+
- Charges now based on a cooldown timer
- Hitting targets with it also gives a cloudstep
Miscellaneous bug fixing, none of which affecting speedrunning
- Purchasing all shop upgrades makes the Money Sink appear in the shop.
- Collecting at least 4 Music Notes allows you to interact with the shop's scrying orb for a Picnic Panic DLC teaser.
- A shop checkpoint in the Tower of Time HQ was edited to be clearer that it serves as a save point.
- An 8-bit version of the "Abomination Beyond Words" music track was added to a chase sequence in the Corrupted Future.
- Power Thistle no longer disappears from inventory after giving it to Colos & Suses.
- File select screen shows a more complete collection of inventory items, now including if you've obtained the Power Thistle, Ruxxtin's Amulet, Sun Crest, Moon Crest, Phobekins, and Demon Crown.
- Hidden and unused English dialogue lines related to The Archivist were added to the dialogue files.
- An unused inventory icon with a picture of a small brown dog was added to the picture files.
Version 1.0.5 (May 28, 2019)
- New key art + minor bug fixes + Discord rich presence integration
Version 2.0.2 (July 10, 2019)
No patch notes.
- The Craftsman's Corner was added.
- Various minor graphical fixes.
- Transparent Power Seals appear in challenge rooms where the Power Seal has already been collected. They serve as a way to redo the challenge for fun.
- The Butterfly Matriarch's sonar beam no longer deals damage in New Game +.
- The overall sound was slightly lowered.
Version 2.0.4 (July 11, 2019)
No patch notes.
- Picnic Panic DLC update.