|Energy shuriken||Ranged attack - Tap into your mind's Ki charges, allowing you to throw energy shuriken with [shuriken button].||50|
|Serendipitous minds||Enemies will sometimes drop a globe that restores 1 Ki charge.||200|
|Prepared mind||Ki charges +1, shurikens pierce 1 target - Healthy sleeping and eating habits give you more energy to use in combat.||250|
|Karuta plates||HP + 1 - Concealed arm guards make you more resistant.||30|
|Serendipitous bodies||Enemies will sometimes drop a globe that restores 1 hit point.||200|
|Path of resilience||Defense up - Incoming damage of 2 or more will now be reduced by 1.||1,000|
|Kusari jacket||HP + 1 - Concealed chainmail chest piece makes you more resistant.||320|
|Meditation||Checkpoints will now restore hit points up to 5, and refill all Ki charges.||550|
|Strike of the Ninja||Attack enemy projectiles - Empower your attacks, letting you destroy enemy projectiles. You can even Cloudstep off of them.||40|
|Second wind||Press [jump button] while being knocked back to do an air recovery jump.||80|
|Currents master||Underwater dash - Press [attack button] while swimming to boost forward.||125|
|Aerobatics warrior||Wingsuit attack - Press [attack button] while gliding with the wingsuit to attack downwards.||150|
|Devil's due||Reduce Quarble's fine for saving your life by 50%.||400|
- You start off with 5 HP, which can be increased to a total of 8 HP via shop upgrades.
- The "Energy shuriken" shop upgrade gives you 3 Ki charges. With additional shop upgrades, it can be increased to a total of 5 Ki charges.
- If you don't own the "Energy shuriken" shop upgrade, then collect all 45 Power Seals, and then open the Power Seal treasure chest in the shop to unlock the Windmill Shuriken, you'll automatically unlock the "Energy shuriken" shop upgrade without having to pay for it.
- You need to own the Wingsuit in order to obtain the "Aerobatics warrior" shop upgrade.
- You need to die once and meet Quarble in order to obtain the "Devil's due" shop upgrade. After purchasing "Devil's due," Quarble sticks around for 30 seconds instead of 60 seconds, assuming no Time Shards have been collected.
- After you purchase all of the shop upgrades on the Version 1.0.4 update or higher, the Money Sink appears in the shop.
- "Devolver Public Access: The Messenger-Sneak Peek," "The Messenger Teaser Trailer," and "The Messenger - E3 2018 Extended Gameplay" videos depict the beta shop upgrade tree. There are 14-15 shop upgrades.
- Shurikens (Energy shuriken), destroying enemy projectiles (Strike of the Ninja), underwater dash (Currents master), and Wingsuit attack (Aerobatics warrior) were default abilities for Ninja and did not appear in the shop as upgrades.
- Beta Shop Upgrades Table
- For the main article, see Achievements.
|Losing Weight, Gaining Ground|
Buy five upgrades in the shop
|Started From The Bottom|
Buy all upgrades from the shop
|Hope This Phelps|
Buy the Swim Dash upgrade from the shop
|Items in The Messenger|
|Items||Scroll • Climbing Claws • Energy Shuriken • Windmill Shuriken • Wingsuit • Rope Dart • Lightfoot Tabi • Astral Seed • Astral Tea Leaves • Ordinary Wax Candle • Magic Seashell • Power Thistle • Demon Crown • Ruxxtin's Amulet • Magic Firefly • Sun and Moon Crests|
|Abilities||Cloudstep • Shop Upgrades|
|Collectibles||Power Seals • Voodoo Feathers • Voodoo Mask Pieces|
|Music Notes||Key of Chaos • Key of Hope • Key of Courage • Key of Love • Key of Symbiosis • Key of Strength|
|Phobekins||Acro • Necro • Claustro • Pyro|
|Miscellaneous||Time Shards • Money Wrench|