Howling Grotto is the sixth area of The Messenger. It is a cave filled with wind tunnels, and Ninja glides on the wind tunnels via the Wingsuit. Howling Grotto was once the home to a race of cave-dwelling creatures who built structures out of the emerald found in the cave.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Items
- 3 Power Seals
- 4 The Shopkeeper's Dialogue
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Interactive Locations Map
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Howling Grotto is a green-themed cave with green architecture and blue objects. Much of the architecture has triangle designs. The cave is filled with emeralds.
Items[edit | edit source]
8-Bit[edit | edit source]
- Ninja obtains the Wingsuit as his second free upgrade from The Shopkeeper.
Power Seals[edit | edit source]
- For the main article, see Power Seals.
Linear[edit | edit source]
Power Seal #1[edit | edit source]
In 8-bit, in a tall room with three Ranged Kappa in a vertical line directly across from four breakable blocks, break the blocks and head right into the Power Seal room. Fly through the air currents while avoiding sawblades, spikes, and swinging spikeballs in order to reach the Power Seal.
Final[edit | edit source]
Power Seal #2[edit | edit source]
In 16-bit, in a tall room with a time rift and a single breakable block in the middle of the room on the right edge, break the block and head right into the Power Seal room. Avoid the crusher blocks that lead into spikes and avoid falling to death while navigating to the Power Seal.
Power Seal #3[edit | edit source]
In 16-bit, in a room where Time Shards form an up arrow near a checkpoint, take the lower-right body of water to the right and into the Power Seal room. Ride the air currents and avoid the crusher blocks to reach the Power Seal. Ninja can safely duck underneath the crusher blocks in the center of the room.
The Shopkeeper's Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Initial Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Wingsuit[edit | edit source]
Current area[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- For the main article, see The Shopkeeper's Stories.
Level boss[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- For the main article, see Achievements.
|Hear Today, Gone Tomorrow|
Make it out of the underwater labyrinth
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Howling Grotto's big map icon is split into two separate pieces called "HowlingGrotto," for the actual grotto, and "LostWoods," for the underwater maze. "LostWoods" is a reference to the Lost Woods from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, another maze navigated via music.
- While the Magic Seashell is very helpful in revealing the correct pathway through Howling Grotto's underwater maze, the correct pathway is always static, so the seashell is not needed if the path has been memorized.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
8-Bit Rooms[edit | edit source]
Interactive Locations Map[edit | edit source]
|Locations in The Messenger|
|Messenger Island||Ninja Village • Autumn Hills • Forlorn Temple • Catacombs • Bamboo Creek • Howling Grotto • Quillshroom Marsh • Searing Crags • Glacial Peak • Tower of Time • Cloud Ruins • Underworld • Dark Cave • Rivière Turquoise • Sunken Shrine • Elemental Skylands • Corrupted Future • Music Box|
|Voodkin Island||Open Sea • Voodkin Shore • Fire Mountain • Voodoo Heart|
|Miscellaneous Locations||The Shop • Tower of Time HQ • The Craftsman's Corner • The Void|