The alphabet is the writing system used in the universe of The Messenger. It is based off of the English language.
- 1 Main Story
- 2 Picnic Panic
- 3 ARG
- 4 Gallery
Main Story[edit | edit source]
Tower of Time Statues[edit | edit source]
Spread throughout the 8-bit Tower of Time are four statues with alphabet letters on their plaques. The statues of Queen of Quills, The Creator, and The Iron Hood all reappear for a second time in the Tower of Time room before Cloud Ruins, while The Bowman statue only has one location in the tower.
- The first statue, labeled "THE BOWMAN," is located at the first shop within the tower. This statue is based off of the Western Hero who rescues Ninja Village in the beginning of the game.
- The second statue is labeled "QUEEN OF QUILLS." This statue is based off of Monk, who is also known as the "Queen of Quills."
- The third statue is labeled "THE CREATOR." This statue is based off of Phantom, who created the scroll.
- The fourth statue is labeled "THE IRON HOOD." This statue is based off of The Iron Hood, a character introduced with the Picnic Panic DLC update.
Forlorn Temple Thrones[edit | edit source]
In Forlorn Temple, there are two thrones with the word "DEMON" etched into them. The Tower of Time statues and the "DEMON" thrones allow the player to learn all letters of the alphabet, excluding: G/J/K/P/V/X/Y/Z. The remaining letters were discovered as part of the ARG.
Picnic Panic[edit | edit source]
- For the main article, see Picnic Panic.
Rock on a Shelf[edit | edit source]
A rock with the letter P on it is seen on a shelf in the Picnic Panic version of the shop. Before the release of the Picnic Panic DLC, promotional material of the tiki shop was shared on social media, via The Shopkeeper's Twitter banner.
Shop Checkpoint Signboards[edit | edit source]
Above every shop in Picnic Panic is a signboard with the word "TUWHERA" written on it. Promotional material displayed one of these shop signboards before the release of the DLC.
Inn-finity[edit | edit source]
A green hut with a signboard with the word "INNFINITY" on it is found in a very secret area of Voodkin Shore. This secret area is accessed in the southwestern corner of the room with the fifth shop. Be in 8-bit, go to the dead-end with a palm tree and a health jar, and wait near the left wall for about 30 seconds to reveal the secret pathway. "INNFINITY" is a reference to The Shopkeeper's story in Voodkin Shore, about a family of innkeepers.
ARG[edit | edit source]
- For the main article, see ARG.
Voodoo Magic Word[edit | edit source]
In the first and second Picnic Panic DLC trailers, shortly after the promotional words "VOODOO MAGIC!" appear, a tiny slab of stone can be seen in the background with the word "TUWHERA" etched into it. In the ARG, this word was required to save The Archivist, who was unable to return to The Void until "TUWHERA" was uttered into it.
Interestingly, this particular slab of stone does not appear in the final version of Picnic Panic, despite being in the trailer footage.
Books from The Archives[edit | edit source]
In the official The Messenger Discord server, The Archivist gave the players an opportunity to view an excerpt from one of three books from The Archives. These books introduced two more letters of the alphabet: J and Z. This also introduced the apostrophe symbol.
- A lime-green book labeled "NINJA."
- An aqua book labeled "THE ALCHEMIST."
- A red book labeled "BARMA'THAZEL."
Ninja's Book[edit | edit source]
Players of the official The Messenger Discord server voted for the lime-green book, Ninja's book. The book contained two pages with an excerpt of Ninja's adventures. With this excerpt, four more letters of the alphabet were introduced: G/K/V/Y. This also introduced the comma symbol and period symbol.
|Page 1||Page 2|
OUT OF THE
TO HIS ARSENAL,
Stone Tablet Timeline[edit | edit source]
Players of the official The Messenger Discord server were given an opportunity by The Archivist to complete a timeline of stone tablets, ranging from The Alchemist's birth, to the Phantom's curse, and to Ninja's role as The Messenger. If properly placed, The Archivist promised to reveal more information about how he became an immortal being. This timeline of stone tablets revealed the second-to-last unknown letter, the letter P. Only the letter X remained unknown.
Players proposed the following stone tablet placement:
- Birth of The Alchemist
- Hundreds of thousands of years gap
- The Flood
- Phantom's Curse begins
- Thousands of years gap
- Ninja carries the scroll
The next day, The Archivist confirmed that the proposed timeline was in the correct order and then provided more information on his origins.
Colos or Suses Event[edit | edit source]
After the conclusion of the "Colos or Suses event" in the official The Messenger Discord, Colos and Suses created a Commemorative Plaque as a thanks for everyone who participated. The Commemorative Plaque revealed the final letter, X, along with the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, and 9.
|THE GREAT 2019|
COLOS OR SUSES DEBATE
|TEAM COLOS||TEAM SUSES|
Discord Shop[edit | edit source]
Mysterious letters began to appear in the official The Messenger Discord server, obtained in various manners. The collected letters are currently recorded at the top of the Discord branch of The Shop.
May 3, 2019
- The Clockwork Concierge spoke of the mysterious shop upgrade called "The Letter H" and requested for The Shopkeeper to add it to the Discord shop.
May 14, 2019
- The Shopkeeper had neglected her duty to add "The Letter H" as a shop upgrade. The Clockwork Concierge again requested for The Shopkeeper to add the upgrade to the shop, and she finally updated the tree.
May 17, 2019
- Stéphanie was selected to be The Messenger for purchasing upgrades.
- Stéphanie purchased "The Scrying Orb," an incredibly fragile orb that was only visible to members of the official Discord with the "Ninja" role. It was explained that if its contents were revealed, shared, or discussed, the scrying orb would break. On that day, the orb cracked a bit due to Phil (The Clockwork Operator) talking about the orb.
July 19, 2019
- Tommy The Lucky One (a.k.a. StrawB) was selected to be The Messenger for purchasing upgrades.
- "The Letter E" was found and automatically obtained during Chapter 2 of the text adventure. [E Obtained]
- "The Letter H" was purchased by StrawB. [H Obtained]
- Since "The Letter H" was purchased by StrawB, the next upgrade appeared in the tree, "The Letters A & U."
August 8, 2019
- "The Letter R" was awarded by the Clockwork Concierge to celebrate 2,000 total members in the official Discord server. [R Obtained]
September 13, 2019
- Ashes was selected to be The Messenger for purchasing upgrades.
- The Shopkeeper asked if Ashes was interested in breaking the scrying orb. After a community discussion, they voted to keep the orb intact.
- Ashes asked The Shopkeeper for clarification on the purpose of collecting all of these letters. The Shopkeeper explained that these letters needed to be collected in order to see The Archivist once again. She also mentioned that these letters would not spell out the word "TUWHERA."
- "The Letters A & U" was purchased by Ashes. [A and U Obtained]
- "Ramblings of a lost soul Chapter 2" was purchased by Ashes. In the document is the mention of someone named "AEPHORUL," and it was speculated by some community members that it was the word the letters were forming.
September 19, 2019
- The silhouette of "The Letter L" appeared in the crack of the scrying orb. There were many arguments and discussions whether or not to break the scrying orb, but in the end, the orb remained intact.
October 3, 2019
- The scrying orb's magical power subsided for good, and the orb appeared to be unbreakable.
- Suses was encouraged by the community to punt the orb really far. The orb was punted really far and was lost.
- The Clockwork Concierge hinted that The Shopkeeper could potentially help with the orb.
January 2, 2020
- The Clockwork Concierge held a quiz, offering "The Letter O" as the prize. The community answered the quiz question correctly and obtained "The Letter O." [O Obtained]
January 24, 2020
- camand was selected to be The Messenger.
- camand asked The Shopkeeper about "The Letter L," which was previously punted by Suses, and "The Letter P," which was on a stone slab sitting on the Tiki Shop shelf. The Shopkeeper explained that "The Letter L" was lost forever, but she handed over "The Letter P." [P Obtained]
January 28, 2020
- The collected letters, A, E, P, H, O, R, and U were used to decipher a scroll called the "Tidal Wave of Lore."
Ramblings of a Lost Soul[edit | edit source]
In the official The Messenger Discord server, The Archivist delivered a scroll to the Clockwork Concierge to deliver to the community. The document is titled "Ramblings_of_a_lost_soul.png." It revealed the "question mark" symbol and also an alternative version of the "apostrophe" symbol.
"SOUL ADRIFT, ADVENTUROUS HEART.
ANOTHER TIMELINE, ANOTHER OF THE FLESHMANCER'S CREATIONS DOWN.
ANOTHER MINOR WOUND, ANOTHER TRIVIAL CONCOCTION, ANOTHER DEAD END.
STILL NO SIGN OF THE STAR SHARDS.
"SOUL ADRIFT, WORRIED HEART.
THE WITNESSES OF BOOK 1, HAVE THEY REALIZED BY NOW?
NINJA SAW THEIR REMAINS. WITHOUT ECLIPSE MAGIC, WE ARE DOOMED.
HOW I WISH THEY WERE STILL BY MY SIDE...
"SOUL ADRIFT, INDUSTRIOUS HEART.
BUYING TIME THROUGH NINJA'S SIDE QUEST.
BUT HOW TO PREPARE THEM FOR BOOK 2?
A MATTER TO THINK THROUGH BEFORE I RETURN.
"SOUL ADRIFT, DETERMINED HEART.
SO MANY POTENTIAL ADVENTURERS, AND SO LITTLE POWER LEFT.
ONLY ONE VOIDWALKER TO SEE THE TRUTH AND CARRY IT BACK. BUT WHO?
I WILL KEEP WATCHING THEM.
"IT IS TIME THE ARTIFICER REVEALED A BIT MORE."
Ramblings of a Lost Soul - Chapter 2[edit | edit source]
In the official The Messenger Discord server, during a visit from The Shopkeeper in #the-shop text channel, "Ramblings of a lost soul Chapter 2" became an available shop upgrade in the Discord branch of The Shop. After it was purchased, Manfred delivered a scroll and gave it to The Shopkeeper, who then handed the scroll to the community. The document is titled "Ramblings_of_a_lost_soul_Pt_2.png."
"SOUL ADRIFT, ABHORRENT HEART
ANOTHER SHATTERED MOON, ANOTHER WORLD EATER
ANOTHER CORRUPTED FUTURE
"SOUL ADRIFT, RESIGNED HEART
CLOSING ANOTHER TIMELINE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN
HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH, AEPHORUL?
"SOUL ADRIFT, FORLORN HEART
LUANA, I NEED YOUR STRENGTH TO CARRY ME
SOLEN, I NEED YOUR LIGHT TO GUIDE MY PATH
"SOUL ADRIFT, HOPEFUL HEART
ALL THESE MESSENGERS, ARE THEY READY?
PERHAPS IF I SHOWED THEM THE PAST...
"STARS ALIGN AT THE TURN OF SPRING,
A VOIDWALKER IS NEEDED BEFORE THEN."
Archivist Scroll 3[edit | edit source]
In the official The Messenger Discord server, The Archivist gave the Clockwork Concierge another scroll to deliver to the community. The initial document, which has a typo, is titled "Archivist_Scroll_3.png," while the updated document is titled "Actual_Archivist-Scroll_3.png."
"AND IN THE THROES OF THE FLESHMANCER
THERE ARE THOSE WHO GO
"ON WITH THEIR PAIN
ON WITH THEIR GRIEF
AND IF FATE WOULD ALLOW IT
ON WITH THEIR LIVES
"AND IN THE HOPES OF A BETTER WORLD
THERE ARE THOSE WHO GREW
"INTO DESTINED ADVENTURERS
INTO FORTHRIGHT MESSENGERS
AND IF FATE WOULD ALLOW IT
INTO SOLSTICE WARRIORS
"AND ON THE SPRING EQUINOX
THERE ARE THOSE WHO WILL KNOW
"OF AEPHORUL'S DECEIT
OF A WORLD WITHOUT SUN
AND IF HATE WON'T PREVENT IT
OF THE POWER OF LOVE
"THE SHOPKEEPER'S PENULTIMATE APPEARANCE DRAWS NEAR
SURELY A THOUSAND TIME SHARDS WILL HELP"
After the scroll was successfully translated, the Concierge awarded the community 1,000 Time Shards.
Seeds of Evil[edit | edit source]
While traveling through The Void, the three Voidwalkers stumbled across torn pieces of The Archivist's writing on Dwellers, which was a book titled "Seeds of Evil."
SEEDS OF EVIL
THE FIGHT SEEMED FAIR FOR A WHILE,
AS THE FLESHMANCER'S COMMITMENT TO THE
SEEING MY FAITH IN THE CHILDREN OF THE
AS IF THE CHALLENGE OF FINDING THEM
Tidal Wave of Lore[edit | edit source]
The Archivist sent the community an unfinished scroll known as the "Tidal Wave of Lore." It was mentioned that the document would explain everything the community needed to know before the release of Book 2 (Sabotage Studio's second video game). The document only contained the the letters A, E, P, H, O, R, and U, while all of the other remaining letters were missing. The remaining letters were meant to be slowly collected as the three Voidwalkers ventured through The Void. However, before any additional letters could even be collected, the Tidal Wave of Lore was completely deciphered after five hours in a collaboration effort by the community.
This initial document contained an error, in which the fifth and sixth paragraphs were duplicates of each other. Later, after The Void closed, The Archivist sent the completed document, which contained a unique non-duplicate sixth paragraph. The completed document also revealed the hyphen symbol.
"COUNTLESS MILLENNIA AGO, TWO POWERFUL ALCHEMISTS KNOWN AS AEPHORUL AND
RESH'AN MANAGED TO CREATE THE ELIXIR OF LIFE. AS ALL THINGS IN ALCHEMY
COME AT A PRICE, THE GIFT OF IMMORTALITY CAUSED THEIR BODIES TO DECAY,
LEADING THEM TO CONCEAL THEIR HIDEOUSNESS UNDER COLORFUL ROBES.
"AT FIRST REVELLING IN THE BRIGHT SIDE OF THEIR BITTERSWEET ETERNAL
LIVES, THEY SPENT CENTURIES PROTECTING THE WORLD, NURTURING IT, AND
CREATING WONDERS TO INSPIRE MORTALS. OVER TIME, HOWEVER, AEPHORUL GREW
INCREASINGLY JEALOUS OF THE EPHEMERALITY HE WOULD NEVER TASTE AGAIN.
"THUS BEGAN HIS WICKED JOURNEY INTO THE FORBIDDEN SCHOOLS OF ALCHEMY, A
JOURNEY THROUGH WHICH EVERY LAST BIT OF GOOD WITHIN HIS HEART DISSIPATED
AS HE EXPERIMENTED WITH SOUL, BONE, FLESH, AND BLOOD ALIKE.
"AS FATE WOULD HAVE IT, AEPHORUL EVENTUALLY EMBRACED EVIL AND EMERGED AS
THE FLESHMANCER, A WICKED IMMORTAL WHO BORE NO SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT
CURSING THE WORLD WITH HIS MONSTROUS CREATIONS. RESH'AN INTERVENED AS
BEST HE COULD, CAUSING UNSPEAKABLE CHAOS AND COLLATERAL DAMAGE TO THE
WORLD AS THE TWO FORMER FRIENDS FOUGHT THEIR ENDLESS WAR.
"AFTER MUCH STRUGGLE, RESH'AN COULD DETERMINE THE FLESH MINIONS' ONLY
WEAKNESS TO BE SOLAR AND LUNAR MAGIC, A POWER GIFTED TO HUMANS BORN
DURING A SOLSTICE. RESH'AN BEGAN TRAINING THESE CHILDREN SO THAT THEY
WOULD BECOME SOLSTICE WARRIORS, TASKED WITH CULLING THE PRESENCE OF THE
"BUT AEPHORUL'S KNOWLEDGE WAS ALSO GAINING GROUND, AND HE EVENTUALLY
STARTED CREATING ODDITIES OF UNLIMITED POTENTIAL KNOWN AS DWELLERS.
DWELLERS WERE IMPERVIOUS TO ALL BUT ECLIPSE MAGIC, A SPECIAL KIND OF
POWER AVAILABLE ONLY TO SOLSTICE WARRIORS DURING A TOTAL ECLIPSE. TIME
WAS ALWAYS OF THE ESSENCE, AS DWELLERS WOULD, LEFT TO THEIR DEVICES LONG
ENOUGH, TURN INTO WORLD EATERS, SPELLING DOOM FOR ALL.
"ARMED WITH KNOWLEDGE AND POWER, SOLSTICE WARRIORS WERE PATROLLING THEIR
WORLD, TRACKING DWELLERS TO DETERMINE WHICH ONE WOULD HAVE TO BE TAKEN
DOWN DURING EACH ECLIPSE. IF THEY KEPT THEIR GUARD UP, THERE MAY NEVER BE
A WORLD EATER, BUT RESH'AN KNEW IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME UNTIL THE
FLESHMANCER DEVISED AN EVEN MORE WICKED PLAN.
"IN A DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO GET AHEAD, RESH'AN BOLDLY PERFORMED
TRANSMUTATION ALCHEMY ON THE VERY SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM, BREAKING REALITY
DOWN INTO COUNTLESS TIMELINES AND PARALLEL UNIVERSES. HE THEN HUNG UP
HIS ALCHEMY VIAL AND TOOK UP THE MANTLE OF ARCHIVIST, SETTING OUT ON AN
ENDLESS JOURNEY ACROSS ALL REALITIES, CATALOGING EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE
OUTCOME IN SEARCH FOR A RESOLUTION TO THE THROES OF THE FLESHMANCER.
MEANWHILE, AEPHORUL REJOICED AT THE SEEMINGLY INFINITE POTENTIAL FOR
DESTRUCTION HE HAD JUST BEEN OFFERED.
"AND SO THIS GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE, PLAYED BY DWELLERS AND SOLSTICE
WARRIORS ON ONE LEVEL, AND BY RESH'AN AND AEPHORUL ON ANOTHER, TOOK PLACE
ACROSS INFINITE TIMELINES. WHILE SOME WERE GETTING LOST TO WORLD EATERS,
OTHERS WERE CLEANSED AND RECLAIMED BY HEROES WHO WOULD KNOW PEACE,
PROVIDED THE FLESHMANCER NEVER SET FOOT IN THEIR REALM AGAIN."
Echoes of The Void[edit | edit source]
A few minutes after the three Voidwalkers left The Void, each one received a vision. When the three images were pieced together, it formed the full "Echoes of The Void."
- [2-4 unknown books]
- [erased title]
- TORMENT PEAK
- DWELLER OF WOE
- MOONCRADLE VILLAGE
- [4 unknown books]
- THE VESPERTINE
- ELDER MIST